We at Shaeffer Hyde Construction realize that our employees are our greatest assets and a fundamental factor for our continued success. Many of our team members have enjoyed long-lasting careers in construction with our company. We are looking for highly motivated, passionate individuals to join our team.
Current Positions Available:
Compensation and Benefits:
We offer competitive pay and benefits. Compensation is based on level of experience and qualifications. Our benefits include paid time off, sick leave, and six paid holidays. We also offer health insurance, a 401K match program, educational programs, and more.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Careers in Construction
Don’t see a position you are interested in?
We are always looking for the right fit to join our organization. There are many diverse careers in construction. Shaeffer Hyde encourages you to submit a resume if you have applicable education, experience, qualifications, and align with our core values.
General / Skilled Laborer – Roaring Fork Valley / Vail Valley
Job Summary: Performs tasks involving physical labor at residential or commercial building sites. Constructs, erects, installs, and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, conforming to local building codes.
- Must have a current driver’s license. Clean driving record a MUST.
- Keeps premises of building and job site in clean and orderly condition.
- Transport’s trash and waste to disposal area
- Sweeps, empties trash cans, and pickups trash, as necessary.
- Cleans rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies.
- Dust’s furniture and equipment.
- Washes walls, ceiling, and woodwork. Washes windows, door panels, and sills.
- Install temporary construction fencing.
- Carry lumber and other building supplies.
- Cuts and trims trees, and shovels snow.
- Delivers messages. Transports small equipment or tools between sites or different areas of the job.
- Measures distances from grade stakes, drives stakes, and stretches tight line.
- Bolts, nails, aligns, and blocks up under forms.
- Digging and filling dirt trenches with pickaxe, shovel, and other hand tools.
- Mixes concrete. Smooths and finishes freshly poured cement or concrete.
- Erects scaffolding, shoring, and braces.
- Mops, brushes, or spreads paints or bituminous compounds over surfaces for protection.
- Spray’s materials such as water, sand, steam, vinyl, paint, or stucco through hose to clean, coat, or seal surfaces.
- Applies caulking compounds by hand or with caulking gun to seal crevices.
- Grinds, sands, or polishes surfaces such as concrete, marble, terrazzo, stucco, or wood products.
- Demolishes buildings, saws lumber, dismantles forms, remove projections from concrete, mounts pipe hangers, and cuts and attaches insulating material.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to work outdoors in variable conditions as to be expected in the mountains.
- Must be able to work on rough terrain and steep slopes.
A valid driver’s license and clean driving history is necessary
Project Coordinator / Estimator – Vail Valley
Job Summary: This position acts as the liaison between the office and the field. Responsibility is to plan and execute specific construction projects and oversee their progress along the way and to deliver and end product that is in align with our quality standards. Specifically, analyzes blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labor estimates for projects, or services by performing the following duties.
- Estimating support and Quality Control
- Permit / DRB applications
- Finish and construction schedules
- Billing – Coding field tickets and entry of subcontractor invoices into our accounting software. This would entail processing and analyzing the monthly subcontractor billing as well as change order approval and tracking.
- Subcontractor buyouts, writing subcontractor contracts, subcontractor insurance and safety compliance tracking
- Material orders
- Payroll support
- Cost and budget management for ongoing projects
- Job close out
- Meeting agenda and notes
- Review’s construction documents to determine material and labor requirements and prepares itemized lists.
- Analyze and understand construction systems, write bid specifications, and provide value engineering and alternate constructions systems for the various scopes of work being reviewed.
- Compute’s cost factors and prepares estimates used for management purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work, preparing bids, selecting vendors or subcontractors, analyze and qualify subcontractor /supplier bids, contract negotiations, and determining cost effectiveness for projects.
- Conducts special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or effect cost reductions.
- Consults with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues
- Ability to multi-task is essential
- Basic knowledge of construction / construction terminology
- Attention to detail / accuracy
- Ability to prioritize and organizational skills
- Deliver high quality work in a deadline filled environment
- Problem solving skill sets
- Must be VERY computer literate and be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Communicated effectively both verbally and in writing
Excellent interpersonal skills
Project Manager – Vail Valley
Job Summary: Responsible for planning, executing, and monitoring construction projects from their commencement to completion. While maintaining vendor accountability, staying on budget, and keeping with company quality standards. Plus, providing the client the best possible experience.
- Preliminary estimating and job negotiating
- Monitoring and tracking of plan completion dates, submittals to governing agencies, etc. to commence with the project in a timely manner.
- Review Plans, Project Schedule, and Project Binder to learn project specifics
- Review the scopes of work for each trade so you are in apposition to direct them when they arrive on site
- Job management
- Subcontracts/purchase orders/shop drawings
- Change orders/work authorization/back charges
- Owner/architect/decorator communication
- Confirm completeness of material delivery
- Quality control
- Job closeout
- Monitor the completion of final closing documents and complete
- Pursue new work by developing prospects
- Owner warranty and follow-up
- Provide technical assistance
- Billing approval
- Predict resources needed to complete project
- Obtain necessary permits, approvals, and other regulatory prerequisites
- Draft and submit budget based on scope of work and resource requirements
- Manage costs to meet budget
- Provide direction over contracts and subcontracts
- Manage construction schedule and activities
- Issue progress updates as needed regarding costs and timelines
- Liaise with local authorities to obtain licenses and permits for the project.
- Prepare reports on the project.
- Ensure work is done in compliance with all relevant building and safety codes
- Select and manage subcontractor and supplier relationships
- Coordinate efforts across entire project between architects, designers, engineers, and subcontractors
- Weekly Jobsite Update Communication
- Understanding what the client or company wants to achieve
- Agreeing timescales, costs and resources needed to deliver a project
- Drawing up a detailed plan for how to achieve each stage of a project
- Selecting and leading a project team
- Negotiating with contractors and suppliers
- Directing a multi-disciplinary team
- Communicating with staff at every level, in a calm, personable way
- Overseeing several projects at the same time
- Ensuring that each stage of the project happens on time, on budget and to a high standard
- Reporting regularly on progress to the client and stakeholders
- Coordinating market and customer research
- Resolving any issues or delays
- Demonstrating knowledge of all areas of construction
- Writing bids for tender
- Managing several projects simultaneously with the support of junior project managers
- Working in an office or on a construction site
- Extensive previous work experience managing budgets for construction projects
- Excellent knowledge of construction materials and equipment
- Highly organized
- Previous experience in a leadership role with strong and proven leadership skills
- Knowledge of MS Office
- Previous work experience in construction management or another similar role
- Understanding of construction management processes
- Able to plan ahead
- Familiar with construction and project management software programs
- Excellent knowledge of relevant rules and regulations as well as quality standards and human resources
- Conflict resolution and conflict management experience
- Excellent time management ability
- Able to multitask with a strong understanding of core manager duties
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal abilities, including negotiation skills